Thursday, January 27, 2011

Design Advice Needed!

As I was laying in bed last night, I got to thinking about how I would decorate our new rental home. I know, we aren't moving for another month and a half... what can I say? I like to plan ahead. Just ask the fiance! I drive him nuts with all of my plans :)

In the new house, there is a formal dining room which is really nice BUT we hardly ever sit at our table to eat. It seems like such a waste to use the entire room for just the table. I need some ideas of how to incorporate other functional furniture pieces such as a desk into the room. I need this room to be multi-functional!

image 2169080172-3
This is the dining room. This picture came from the rental advertisement, so this is obviously a previous renter's things. Not the best pic.. But it's all I've got right now! The wall that is not shown is an entry way into the den.

This is not our exact set, but it is very similar. As you can see, it's a very small table. I just can't see using the whole room to only house this baby.

EXPEDIT Workstation white Width: 60 5/8 " Depth: 31 1/8 " Height: 58 5/8 "  Width: 154 cm Depth: 79 cm Height: 149 cm

This is the exact desk that we have. Since it is a small home, I don't think there will be room for our desk in the guest bedroom which is where we have it in our current apartment.

Any ideas on how to incorporate both of these items into the room without it looking junky or a hodge-podge of furniture?? All ideas would be greatly appreciated!

7 comments:

  1. find a mirror to put on the wall or above the desk to make the room look bigger, and wall art and maybe "POPS" of colors on the table, like red place mats or something! Or..dining room/liabrary/study???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm, it seems big enough to be able to hold both pieces and look great! I love that desk...it's so unique!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i would totally hop on polyvore.com and make a mood board so you can better envision it!!! =) that always helps me! <3

    xoXOxo
    Jenn @ Peas and Crayons

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey there! I love both pieces, especially the desk.

    The shelves on the desk can be for baskets filled with your typical desk/office supplies and books! That way it won't be a dining room where you see staplers, pens and such. Pretty wicker baskets would look great! Definitely add pops of color!

    Hope you follow my blog! I am a wedding blogger and would love to have you! Congrats on your upcoming wedding! Hope you have the wedding of your dreams!

    ~Romantic Savy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmmm that is a tough predicament! You could put the table sort of on one end of the room and the desk at the other and then give each a different (but coordinating obviously!) area rug to act as a divider to separate the two spaces as their own. I'd definitely put the dining "area" closer to the kitchen if that's possible. I think it's totally possible, you'll just have to get it all in the space and play around with it!! Can't wait to see the new rental house!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally agree with Michelle. Definitely need to separate and define the two spaces. Two different by coordinating rugs would be a great way to do it. Also, you could put the dining table at an angle on one side of the room to make it feel unique and casual. In the desk area, you can put the book shelf part against the wall and put a few formal items in it at the top, like china or something pretty, just to make it feel more dining-like. Hope that helps! I can't wait to see it (:

    ReplyDelete
  7. i love that desk!! and i'm your newest follower! :-)

    ReplyDelete